Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Book Review: The Gathering Storm


First off, I apologize for not posting anything recently. Life has been quite crazy.... especially with all the snow we've been having lately ;)

Today I'd like to share my thoughts on a book I read over the course of my two wonderful snow days. The Gathering Storm by Bodie and Brock Thoene is very likely the best book I have ever read. Seriously. I know I've probably said this many times before but I'm absolutely serious. This book is the only book to have held me captive until the very end. I couldn't bear to set it down until I had read all 373 pages. And now I want to read it again. The last 10 pages caused me so many emotions.... confusion and joy, grief and heartbreak, frustration and anger. But in the end, I was left with so much happiness and hope.
 The prologue begins with the author, Bodie, traveling to modern day London to visit Loralei Kepler, an elderly woman who wishes to have her life story turned into a book. The Gathering Storm follows the life of young Loralei as the horrors of World War II begin to ravage the world. An American by birth, Lora struggles to help the countless refugees seeking safety as her life is constantly shattered by grief and heartbreak. And just when all seems lost, Eben Golah finds his way into her heart, an old friend who guards an age old secret.

I won't say any more so as not to ruin the "secret" for you. Just trust me; you'll love this beautiful story. It shows that God can bring goodness and beauty out of every situation, no matter how terrible or dismal. It shows that love has the power to transcend even time itself, to be a light in the darkness.
Here are a couple of my favorite quotes:


water and stone


No comments:

Post a Comment